Saturday, May 22, 2010

5/22/2010: First full day in Amman

Though I should really be sleeping right now, my host mother and I talked and drank turkish coffee all evening. Turkish coffee is delicious but really steals away the desire to sleep. As long as I'm to get a few hours in I should be fine.

My first full day in Amman was incredible. I am with a small group, around ten, American student and today we sat through about 1/2 of our orientation, took a placement test, and, more exciting, traveled around Amman.

To my great surprise, I tested into the intermediate level. The placement test was extremely difficult as I could only understand maybe a 1/4 of the test. Considering the underdevelopment of the Arabic program at Seton Hall (and I am being polite), I was afraid that I would be placed into beginner and review AGAIN the same material I did last semester. I like to think that test practitioners took pity on me or saw some sort of strange potential in my ability to learn this language.

Amman is truly a beautiful city; so diverse and vibrant. Thus far, I am happy to discover my theory on humanity to be true: people are people everywhere and this thing that we call 'cultural barriers' is a constructed concept. From the taxi driver, who's name Yassir, referred to himself as Yassir Arafat and continuously wished me good luck in my studies to the group of men who gave me directions to my host family's apartment (screaming in Arabic), I see similarities to the Americans I often rely on to help me find my way. Of course there are differences in the way we dress and the ways we communicate but that essence which makes us human is the same throughout the world.

At least that is what was on my mind today while observing Jordanians bustle about the city. Take away a few 'hijabs' and you've got Brooklyn. (fyi: Someone once told me that if Brooklyn was its own city, it would be larger than Boston...take that Red Sox)

We were bused throughout the city but were given time to explore two spots: the Roman Amphitheater and the Citadel. Amman's ancient ruins...

One thing I cannot get over: YOU CAN TOUCH, SIT, TAKE PICTURES WITH the ruins! I saw children running around the ancient stone walls and people sitting on top of the ruins. If this were America or Western Europe, they would be blocked off...security guard with a gun...a electric gate around them...it was incredible. But not only was THIS incredible, the view!


Too many good experiences today.

Perhaps the best moment I had was when I was spending time with my host mom.

She said in broken English and in Arabic, "I have good feeling about you. Its very Arab to sit and talk over coffee. It gives me good sense of you."

If my addiction to coffee and talkative spirit translates well to you Lene, I should be just fine for the next month. Insha'allah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment